CoderDojo Community Committee
The CoderDojo community committee is a semi structured group of active CoderDojo community members whose purpose is to guide and advise the CoderDojo Foundation on certain key decisions. The Committee acts as an ear on the ground within the community and gives information about the needs, challenges and operations of the CoderDojo community in certain regions. They also engage in discussion on proposed resource development and assist with policy development relating the CoderDojo community.
What areas will the Community Committee assist on?
CoderDojo Foundation wants the community to have as much input as possible, which is why the Committee is included in discussions relating to major strategic decisions which have a direct impact on the community.
A good example of this is the CoderDojo Charter of Ethics: this was developed as a basic set of terms & conditions for all Dojos to agree to when registering their dojo on Zen. The CoderDojo Foundation wrote an initial draft of the charter and then went to the community for feedback and advice. Based on discussions with the group the Charter was amended and finally approved. It now exists on Zen and all new dojos must agree to it when registering on the site.
Currently the only set requirement in place is that all Committee members are active CoderDojo community members; this means that they are currently actively involved in an up and running Dojo/number of Dojos. Only one community member from a region nominated themselves to be on the Committee, this was done so that the Committee is a fair representative of the global CoderDojo community. If the Committee begins to grow to a size too large to be manageable and for positive and constructive discussion to take place, then it will be the responsibility of the Committee to devise a procedure for selecting or rotating members.
Community Committee Members
|Francis||CoderDojo Dun Laoghaire||IE|
|Josh and Frank||CoderDojo Washington DC||US|
|Michael||CoderDojo Galway & Athenry||IE|
|Martine, Jerry and/or Sophie||CoderDojo Belgium||BE|
Provisional Terms & Conditions
These are the provisional structure, terms and conditions:
There will be four 1 hour calls per year at or around the following months: March, May, August, and November.
- Each call will have a theme/item and set agenda for discussion set by CoderDojo Foundation based on current projects.
- All members will be asked to submit any questions two weeks prior to the call, if a question/topic is suggested by more than one member it will be included on the agenda.
- All Committee members will be required to familiarise themselves with the agenda to ensure that each member is given an opportunity to speak on each topic.
- Each meeting will be facilitated by a CoderDojo Foundation staff member who will ensure the meeting follows the agenda.
- Notes will be taken and posted to the CoderDojo organisers Google Group within two weeks of the call.
- CoderDojo Foundation will communicate with the committee members when necessary via email/Google group/forum as necessary
- Committee members will be expected to raise any concerns arising in their regions, enabling CoderDojo Foundation to be proactive in resolving them.
- Committee members should be motivated solely by the aim of benefiting the CoderDojo community and any decisions made in regard to this should not be affected by members involvement with any outside organisations.
- These meetings are for constructive discussion with the aim of benefiting the global CoderDojo community. Unless it has become an issue relevant to the entire community and is added as a topic for discussion, any individual/local grievances with the CoderDojo Foundation are not to be discussed in this setting but feel free to contact us directly.